It was recently pointed out to me that site load speed factors into search status. So, I thought I would do some research and experimentation with my site to see if I can improve performance. And, I thought that I could keep my notes out in public in case it might help someone else.
The one I picked up from this list was WP Super Cache. My blog definitely needs a speed boost.
The next one I probably need to come back to is the Mobile Press. The only problem is that the link was broken. I’ll have to come back and research that later.
So, let me add a few of my own:
Ad Injection: Previously, I had tried to implement the ads manually into my theme. I found that they were slowing the site down. This plugin makes implementing ads correctly easier, and it gives you more options as well.
Edit Flow: While it is just me blogging, I still use this plugin to try to organize my posts. I have created a “Stub” status that I use when I find a topic that I want to write about. Then, I created a “Needs Research” status to indicate that I still have work to do before finishing the article. I also created a “Pending Review” status to remind myself to review the article one more time before publishing.
Jetpack: If you don’t already have this installed, WordPress should start to bug you about it. For me, it just means better looking stats. I need to delve into setting up some of the other features in it.
Yet Another Related Post Plugin: I need to spend more time on theming the related section, but this plugin seems to make the “related” section at the bottom pretty easy.
The weird part is that I installed a fresh installation of WordPress using Lunar Page’s Softaculous system. The new installation had no problems.
I found a pretty nice forum post that has some things to try. Unfortunately, none of them really worked. I have disabled all of the plugins, and that didn’t seem to make a difference. I also installed all of the plugins into my new instance, and that didn’t break that one. I copied all the wp-includes from the new instance to the old one, and that didn’t fix it either.
I would love to fix it for good through. Please comment if you have any other ideas.
Update: I added the href=”<?php echo get_permalink() ?>” code for the index.php. Without that, the user would be indicating a plus one for the home page rather than the article that the button is next to.
So, here’s what the top of my index.php looks like (wp-content/themes/garland-revisited/index.php):
Now, that only affects the home page. If you go into one of the posts, you won’t see the button. To fix that, we need to add it to single.php. And, here’s what the top of my single.php looks like (wp-content/themes/garland-revisited/single.php):
After moving my blog, one of the problems is SPAM. And, it seems like it is getting worse. I get all kinds of spam comments, some advertising various things like iPhones and worse, but the most annoying are these unreadable ones. These are like random letters or like someone just slid their hand across the keyboard.
On WordPress.com, they offer Akismet as a spam filter. It seemed to do a decent job, and now that I see what happens without it, I realize that I took it for granted. What I didn’t realize was that it was a service. The plugin came preinstalled on my new website, but to activate it, I had to sign up for an account on the Akismet site.
I have been reluctant to sign up because I am not sure that I want yet another service. The cost would probably be minimal if not free, but my profits are minimal if not none.
So, we’ll see how this option goes.
Another option that looked very interesting was Solve Media. This idea is pretty cool. They take a problem and end up making money off of it!
I read about it at iBlogZone’s article. The idea is that you put a Captcha on your comment form. In order to comment, you have to type the letters from the image, and they are designed so that a spambot could not decipher them. The cool part about this implementation is that they incorporate an advertisement into it so that you earn money at the same time.
I think I am going to hold off on this option for now. It is another service after all, and I don’t have enough legitimate comments at this point.
In order to use these, I did have to go to the settings on my blogs and enable the XML-RPC feature. In the admin tool, I went to Settings > Writing. Under Remote Publishing, there is a setting for it.
Blog Entry Poster worked pretty easily once I got the RPC enabled. Drivel was a little more difficult, but I found a post that helped. I just had to use MoveableType.
I think I like QTM the best out of the three. One feature I like is that it supports multiple accounts/blogs:
Another feature I like is that you can save/upload it as a draft. So, what I will probably do is write and complete most of the post from QTM. Then, I will go back and proof it online in WordPress.
QTM does seem to support adding images although, I don’t think I have tried it yet. It doesn’t seem to support WYSIWYG editing though. That isn’t that big of a deal for me with simple posts. It does have a preview button.
The solution is to delete a .maintenance file in the root directory of my WordPress installation. I use nautilus for my FTP connection to the website. Because the file begins with “.”, it is hidden by default. You can hit Ctrl + H to show the hidden files, and then I could delete the file.
In moving my blog across from WordPress.com, I decided I wanted to review all of the posts that I imported. To track which ones I had done and which ones I had not, I created a tag to apply to all of the posts. Then, the challenge was to apply that tag to all of the posts. I couldn’t find anything on the front end, so I decided to try the database.