Month: January 2018

Using BMC on my IBM Server

A while ago, I purchased a used IBM server that has been a very nice tool. Here’s the specs:
ibm x3455

I have it hooked up to a battery backup unit, which is connected with the USB cable. When the power goes out for a length of time, it powers the machine into a strange state that I cannot get it out of. The light on the front turns orange, and none of the buttons will reboot it. I have to pull the power cord and wait for it to power down. When I plug it back in, it works fine.

I found that the server does have a BMC built in that is supposed to allow for remote power control. There are several IPMI clients that I can install in Linux that should be able to control it. I was able to set the IP address for the console as well use the username and password in the BIOS of the machine.

Read More

Amazon Chime on Linux

My employer is in the process of signing up for Amazon Chime. The challenge for me is that means I need to be able to communicate with them using the tool on my Ubuntu Desktop. At this point, I’m not sure how that’s going to happen!

My First Reactions

I haven’t had the opportunity to use the tool very much, but we have had a couple of meetings so far. We have been using Zoom and Go To Meeting. Zoom has a client app that you have to install, but they do have a nice Linux client. Go To Meeting does have a nice Web Client. I can share my desktop and connect with my headset just from the webapp with out installing anything. Chime has a webapp, but it is very limited. I can’t use my headset nor share my screen. To me, that’s not acceptable for using with clients.

Attempt on Wine

I tried Scivision’s commands:

<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime WINEARCH=win32 winecfg<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime winetricks dotnet40<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime wine Chime*.exe<br />

I get this error message:

<br />
Unhandled Exception: BibaApplication.ApplicationServices.ApplicationRecoveryException: Failed to Register<br />
   at BibaApplication.ApplicationServices.ApplicationRestartRecoveryManager.RegisterForApplicationRecovery(RecoverySettings settings)<br />
   at BibaApplication.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)<br />
   at System.Windows.Application.&lt;.ctor&gt;b__1(Object unused)<br />
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)<br />
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)<br />
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)<br />
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()<br />
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)<br />

I tried installing these items:

<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime winetricks ie8<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime winetricks mdac28<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime winetricks d3dx11_43<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime winetricks crypt32<br />

None of those seem to have made much difference. It does actually install here:
C:\users\skp\Application Data\Chime\Chime.exe
I can try to launch it with this:

<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime wine 'C:\users\skp\Application Data\Chime\Chime.exe'<br />

But, it fails to run the app itself.

I tried with mono:

<br />
$ mono /home/skp/.wine_chime/drive_c/users/skp/Application\ Data/Chime/Chime.exe<br />
The entry point method could not be loaded due to Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies. assembly:PresentationFramework, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 type:&lt;unknown type&gt; member:&lt;none&gt;<br />

2nd attempt:

<br />
rm -rf ~/.wine_chime/<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime WINEARCH=win32 winecfg<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime ./winetricks dotnet45<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime ./winetricks ie8<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime wine Chime*.exe<br />

3rd attempt (I found that there is some issue with Winetricks, and it wasn’t really installing dotnet 4.0)

<br />
rm -rf ~/.wine_chime/<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime WINEARCH=win32 wineboot --init<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime wine uninstaller  # uninstall Mono<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime wine ./dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime ./winetricks ie8<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime ./winetricks settings win10<br />
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_chime wine Chime*.exe<br />

I had to download the dotnet framework from here:

I also tried PlayOnLinux. I got a few more meaniful error messages and it let me try different Wine versions better.

Warning: This seems to have broke my system! XWindows wouldn’t work after this, so I think it was these two packages.

<br />
sudo apt-get install p11-kit:i386<br />
sudo apt-get install libp11-kit-gnome-keyring:i386<br />

In the end, I was not successful. I can’t get any part of Chime to work! Please comment if you get anything.