This is a continuation of my series of notes on my install of Ubuntu 15.04 on my laptop. The full list of posts is on this page. Previously, in the last post, I installed utilities and tweaked the configuration. In this post, I setup various networking and Internet-related programs.
Some of my co-workers have been using the Zoom Conferencing Service. Unfortunately, they haven’t had a Linux client. That means that I’ve had to start a Windows virtual machine for each meeting. If I want to share anything on my desktop, I’ve got to get it on my VM.
Well, today, I was given access to the Linux beta client. It took several emails. Apparently, I’m not the only one wanting a conferencing solution for Linux.
I followed the directions from Zoom Support.
Here are my notes…
I’ve been having trouble opening WebEx because of a Java error message. The “security settings have blocked the application”. Here’s what I did to fix it…
Your security settings have blocked an application signed with an expired or not-yet-valid certificate from running.
Many times, I find that I need to create a document that includes either code or output from a command-line. I haven’t found that either LibreOffice or Microsoft Word provide good styling to make that code or output look nice in a technical document. Below is how I created some Paragraph styles in both programs to display the code. I would love feed back on how I can improve the look. Please Comment Below.
Recently, Microsoft’s Online applications have come to the rescue. I’ve learned that I can edit Word documents on my Linux OS without needing Wine or a Windows VM. I don’t have the full feature set, but it’s close enough for basic editing. One big issue that I have is that I can’t create Styles. I’m not sure that I can adjust tab stops either.
So, when I ran across the Chrome store apps for Office Online, I was excited. Maybe Microsoft is showing Linux, or at least Web-based users a little more attention?
Here are the links to the Apps in the Chrome Web Store:
Unfortunately, these apps didn’t help me much. Anytime I click on one of the apps, it requests my email address. Then, it takes me to an Outlook page. I’m not sure if it is because I am using my company account which is has a Sharepoint corporate account associated.
I was hoping that these apps might help me with some major bugs that I have been experiencing. First, in Word documents, Chrome deletes my selection when I press Ctrl + C. If I try to right click and ask it to copy, I just get a message saying the browser doesn’t have access to the clipboard. Second, in Excel, Chrome seems to get in this mode where it deletes the contents of cells when I navigate to them with the arrows on the keyboard.
Both of those are serious issues, so I have taken to using Firefox for the time being. At least this shows that Chrome is on the radar for supporting the online applications.
I’ve had an issue with one of my email addresses recently. When I reply to all with my GMail address, it’s smart and does not send the email back to myself. On the other hand, when I sent an email from another address, it would include that address in the reply list. It finally got annoying enough to find a problem…
A couple of emails came through the other day that I didn’t catch right away. This set me on a quest for a good notification system for my email. I need something where if I step away from my computer for 30 seconds that I can see that I got an email during that time. Or, if I am working on something that I can’t stop, I need something that will quietly sit and remind me that something needs attention when I have a chance.
Periodically, I use WebEx with work. It seems like it is just often enough to remind me that I didn’t make sure it was working since my last install.
Well, thanks to Russ Lowenthal, I found an easy fix to get it working.
Well first, he has you look for missing libraries in the config directory. The problem is, I had two of them already.
$ ls $HOME/.webex 1124 1424 lastshareindex.bak
I just deleted the directory to start from scratch.
rm -r .webex/
I started a new WebEx from my browser. I just logged into the meeting and ended it. After that, I had just one directory there:
$ ls $HOME/.webex 1424
As a side note, the Meeting Center opens at this point. I just can’t share my desktop or view someone else’s.
Finding Missing Libraries
Next, I ran this command to identify the missing libraries.
ldd $HOME/.webex/1424/*.so >>check.txt
I could have opened the check.txt with gedit or something like that. It was easier to use grep to find all of the “not found” lines:
$ grep "not found" check.txt libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => not found libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => not found libXmu.so.6 => not found libXtst.so.6 => not found libjawt.so => not found libjawt.so => not found libXmu.so.6 => not found libpangoxft-1.0.so.0 => not found libXft.so.2 => not found libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 => not found libpangox-1.0.so.0 => not found
Then, I installed the apt-file program.
sudo apt-get install apt-file apt-file update
Finally, I used it to search each of the libraries that were not found.
$ apt-file search libXmu.so.6 libxmu6: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXmu.so.6 libxmu6: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXmu.so.6.2.0 libxmu6-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXmu.so.6.2.0
Once I knew the libraries, I could use that to install them. Not each of these actually installed packages because some were dependencies.
sudo apt-get install -y libgtk2.0-0:i386 sudo apt-get install -y libxmu6:i386 sudo apt-get install -y libgcj14-awt:i386 sudo apt-get install -y libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 sudo apt-get install -y libxft2:i386 sudo apt-get install -y libpangoft2-1.0-0:i386 sudo apt-get install -y libpangox-1.0-0:i386
I didn’t even have to reboot or even restart my browser. The next meeting worked fine and showed me the shared desktop.