Category: Ubuntu

Fixing CDRecord

I’ve been trying to back up my computer, and I have a virtual machine that is rather large.  I am using a Samsung Blu-Ray burner, and I am having trouble.  Brasero just bombed out at the beginning of the burn.  So, I went back to K3b.  That did the trick mostly, but I ran into issues at the end of every disk.  So, I found a nice article on Ubuntu Forums.

Here are my notes on implementing the fix…

Read More

Installing MenuLibre 2.0

I just discovered MenuLibre with this last time that I installed Ubuntu 13.10. Tom pointed out on that post that a new 2.0 version is available. It’s not in the Ubuntu 13.10 repositories, but it was easy enough to install (or, at least should have been) …

Here’s the easy way

First, you need to install two prerequisites.

[sourcecode]
sudo apt-get install python3-distutils-extra
sudo apt-get install python3-psutil
[/sourcecode]

Now download the latest version from the Project Page.

Finally, extract and install like this:

[sourcecode]
tar -xzvf menulibre-2.0.1.tar.gz
cd menulibre-2.0.1
python3 setup.py install –user
[/sourcecode]

Run it like this (or, from the menu):

[sourcecode]
$ ~/.local/bin/menulibre
[/sourcecode]

Read More

Ubuntu 13.10 Bugs: Gnome-Settings-Daemon Crash

Originally, when I would first boot up, I would get numerous errors about the Gnome-Settings-Daemon crashing.  Here’s my research into fixing those.

A note on Ask Ubuntu mentioned installing libgnome-desktop 3.8.4….

I used Synaptic Package Manager to see that “libgnome-desktop-3-7” was already at 3.8.4-ubuntu1.1.  Just as a guess, I tried installing “libgnome-desktop-2-17“.

That actually fixed the error messages on boot up!  I also noticed that it fixed some of the programs that didn’t look quite right.  The theme was broken for some reason, and this fixed it.

Note: I think that some of this might be related to installing Nvidia Prime.

Update: I used Synaptic to uninstall the “libgnome-desktop-2-17” package, and my problems didn’t come back.  So, that must not have been the exact problem.  Maybe some dependency to that package was the problem or it was something that didn’t completely uninstall.

Resources