This is a continuation of my series of notes on my install of Ubuntu 15.04 on my laptop. The full list of posts is on this page. Previously, in the last post, I installed Ubuntu and restored the files.
Labor Day Weekend made for the perfect time to get my laptop updated. I know Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) has been out for a while, but I am just now getting it installed. Here are my notes.
I didn’t take screenshots of all of the steps. They were pretty straight forward. The one thing that I did change was the partitioning. I read that having the Swap partition on the SSD drive will wear it out, so I went ahead and moved it onto the regular drive.
So, here’s what it looked like:
In previous installs, I was using Duplicity/Deja Dup. This time, I have been using BackupPC for backups. It is a nice centralized solution that de-dups and compresses nicely.
Now, to restore… The BackupPC FAQ: SSH Setup is a good place to start.
To troubleshoot, I went to the backuppc server, and ran:
$ ssh pistachio
ssh: connect to host pistachio port 22: Connection refused
That tells me that the ssh server is not installed. So, I ran:
sudo apt-get install ssh[/sourcecode]
On the BackupPC server, I had already run the keygen. So, I just had to open the id_rsa.pub file and copy it’s contents.
sudo vi /var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
Then, on my laptop, I pasted it onto the end of the authorized_keys2 files (which, in my case I had to create):
$ sudo mkdir /root/.ssh
$ sudo vi /root/.ssh/authorized_keys2
Next, I tried to connect to my laptop of the backuppc user on the server:
sudo su – backuppc
sudo ssh root@pistachio
I had to run:
ssh-keygen -f "/var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/known_hosts" -R pistachio
List of Restores
These are the directories that I restored from my backup:
- ~/Documents: This is where I put all my document files
- ~/Pictures: I have Shotwell pointed at this directory, so it contains all the pictures from my cell phone and digital camera
- ~/GideonTaylor: I keep my work files in a different directory
- ~/app: This has all of my programming stuff (“application development”)
- ~/.config/google-chrome-beta: The settings for Chrome (extensions, bookmarks, etc)
- ~/.local/share/keyrings: My saved passwords, see below for more information
- ~/.Skype: Skype history
- ~/.remmina: The settings for my remote connections
- ~/.ssh: The keys for my remote ssh connections
- ~/.local/share/shotwell: The settings and thumbnails for my photos
- ~/.sword: The downloaded Bible files for Xiphos (and the underlying Sword library)
- ~/.filezilla: The settings for my FTP connections
- ~/.sqldeveloper: The connection settings for SQL developer
- ~/.vim: stores the plugins installed in Gvim
- ~/.vimrc: preferences for Gvim (for my settings, I also had to create the ~/.vimtmp directory)
- /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections: this saves all of my wireless connections and VPN connections
- ~/.VirtualBox: The settings for my virtual machines