Month: July 2013

Amazon Prime Fix Again

We have enjoyed watching many of the Amazon Prime videos in the past.  Unfortunately, on the last few machines that I have rebuilt, they wouldn’t play.  It just said to upgrade the Flash Player.  The usual tricks didn’t work.

Update: I found a different but easier solution for Ubuntu 13.10. See this post.

Thanks to Ask Ubuntu and Aaron, I found the solution.  In summary, here are the commands that got the job done:

[sourcecode]
sudo apt-get install hal
sudo mkdir /etc/hal/fdi/preprobe
sudo mkdir /etc/hal/fdi/information
/usr/sbin/hald –daemon=yes –verbose=yes
rm -rf ~/.adobe
[/sourcecode]

Here are the steps…

Read More

Cache Tuning for Inodes

I have been struggling with my website’s backups running.  Host Gator requires the Inode count to be under a certain level in order for the backups to run.  The best part about it is that they have added tools to the CPanel to show the usage and backup status.

After fixing the problem, here’s what my backup status panel looks like:

Backup Status Panel

Also, farther on down the left hand column, Host Gator offers an Inode measurement.  Again, after fixing, here’s what mine looks like:

Inode Status Indicator

Last time, I messed with the git repositories to clean up some of the inode usage.  This time, I looked into the WordPress Caching.  I am using a cache plugin called W3 Total Cache.  Because it was not configured correctly, it was using up more inodes than it should have.

So, it was time to check on performance again, and I wanted to do a before and after performance measurement.

Read More