This post is an attempt to fix at least the second of the issues on my previous post:
I noticed that one of the comments suggested using DriConf to fix the problem. Here is the comment:
I have tried installing driconf and turned synchronization with vertical refresh off completely. I havn’t seen this issue since.
Does anyone have similar experiences?
And, here is what I tried:
First, I used Ubuntu Software Center to install the DriConf tool:
I had some connection problems, and so I tried Synaptic instead. That is probably just because I am using my cell phone for Internet connectivity in an area with bad signal. You can probably stick with Ubuntu Software Center if you wish. It doesn’t matter.
Note: If you want to read up on DRI Conf, check out their Wiki.
Next step is to open DriConf. I used the Unity Dash to launch it, but in Classic you would find it under System > Preferences > 3D Acceleration.
When it first opens, it lets you know it is going to create it’s directory:
Then, I changed the first option:
I have had mixed results. It seemed to work the first time I tried to leave the lid closed. Then, as soon as I thought I had found a solution, it locked up on me the next time. I just now left the lid closed while I went in the store before lunch, and I just realized that I didn’t have to reboot to get it unlocked!