Solaar Fixes My Mouse

I have an old wireless Logitech mouse that I haven’t been able to get working.  My batteries were low in my bluetooth, so I thought I would give it a try.  That’s when I ran into Solaar and OMG Ubuntu’s article.  So, I gave it a shot…

My Logitech Wireless Mouse

Here are the commands that I used to install Solaar:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:daniel.pavel/solaar
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install solaar

After installing the program, I ran it from the menu.  It gave me a permission denied error about accessing my mouse.  After I unplugged and re-plugged the receiver, my mouse suddenly just started working.

So, from Solaar, I can see my receiver:

Solaar: Receiver

And, my mouse:

Solaar: Mouse

My one complaint is that it adds the battery icons to the notification bar making it look like my laptop is running on battery power.  Actually, my laptop is plugged in, and it is showing the percentage of battery usage of the mouse.

Solaar Notification Icons

On the devices page, I see that my mouse (M310) is listed.  My receiver is listed as a “new one” (046d:c52f):

$ lsusb -d 046d:
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 046d:c52f Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver

I wonder if this is why it is a little finicky, or if something is wrong with the hardware.  Every once in a while, I noticed that it would quit working.  The Solaar window would show that it disconnected.  If I wiggled the receiver in the USB port or pushed on it, it would connect again.  It’s strange because that seemed to affect the mouse connection, not the receiver connection.  The receiver never said it was disconnected.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *