Troubleshooting Eclipse Errors

I had a few issues with Eclipse running. Here are my notes on fixing the errors…

Problem 1: GLib-Critical errors

If I were to run Eclipse from the command line, I would see a bunch of these errors:

<br />
(Eclipse:12800): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_base64_encode_step: assertion 'in != NULL' failed<br />

I don’t think the errors were really causing me any problems except that it made it hard to read any other errors that might have indicated something else was wrong.

To fix them, I set the SWT_GTK3 variable to “0”. On the command line, I ran Eclipse like this:

<br />
env SWT_GTK3=0 bin/eclipse/java-neon/eclipse/eclipse<br />

To make the fix permanent, I updated my links with MenuLibre to include this in the command from the menu.

Problem 2: Workspace crash

Eclipse was crashing before it started …

There’s a workspace specific log, and that had some clues…
[workspace path]/.metadata/.log

This seemed to be the main error:

<br />
!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2017-06-06 17:58:53.650<br />
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: &quot;Initializing Eclipse Error Reporting System&quot;.<br />
!STACK 0<br />
org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: Could not find satisfiable constructor in org.eclipse.epp.internal.logging.aeri.ide.IDEWorkflow<br />
	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(InjectorImpl.java:384)<br />
	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.make(InjectorImpl.java:294)<br />
	at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.make(ContextInjectionFactory.java:162)<br />
	at org.eclipse.epp.internal.logging.aeri.ide.IDEStartup.initializeIdeContext(IDEStartup.java:113)<br />
	at org.eclipse.epp.internal.logging.aeri.ide.IDEStartup.access$0(IDEStartup.java:73)<br />
	at org.eclipse.epp.internal.logging.aeri.ide.IDEStartup$1.run(IDEStartup.java:62)<br />
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)<br />

To fix it, I simply deleted this file:

<br />
rm app/workspaces/peoplesoft/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.e4.workbench/workbench.xmi<br />

Believe it or not, it fixed a few things in my workspace. The toolbar had also gone missing and suddenly came back after this fix.

Resources

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *