I installed Youtube-dl on my new Ubuntu 20.10, but I failed to test it. On my first download, it didn’t work. I got this:
$ youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAa088SDn9E NAa088SDn9E: Downloading webpage NAa088SDn9E: Downloading embed webpage ERROR: Unable to extract JS player URL; please report this issue on https://yt-dl.org/bug . Make sure you are using the latest version; see https://yt-dl.org/update on how to update. Be sure to call youtube-dl with the --verbose flag and include its complete output.
I decided to download the latest version temporarily to see if that even fixes the problem:
cd Downloads/ wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl chmod a+rx ./youtube-dl
With the testing version in the download folder, it is able to download the same video.
$ ./youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAa088SDn9E NAa088SDn9E: Downloading webpage NAa088SDn9E: Downloading js player a3726513 NAa088SDn9E: Downloading js player a3726513 WARNING: Requested formats are incompatible for merge and will be merged into mkv. [download] Destination: He's Been Faithful _ Heritage Singers-NAa088SDn9E.f137.mp4 [download] 100% of 95.72MiB in 00:32 [download] Destination: He's Been Faithful _ Heritage Singers-NAa088SDn9E.f251.webm [download] 100% of 5.84MiB in 00:01 [ffmpeg] Merging formats into "He's Been Faithful _ Heritage Singers-NAa088SDn9E.mkv" Deleting original file He's Been Faithful _ Heritage Singers-NAa088SDn9E.f137.mp4 (pass -k to keep) Deleting original file He's Been Faithful _ Heritage Singers-NAa088SDn9E.f251.webm (pass -k to keep)
So, it looks like the repository version is about 2 months old. I guess that’s old enough to prevent it from downloading videos.
$ youtube-dl --version 2020.09.14 $ ./youtube-dl --version 2020.11.24
Installing the Latest Version to the System
So, I went ahead and followed the directions on the Youtube-dl website to install it globally:
sudo wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl youtube-dl --version
Strangely, the program didn’t report the new version until I rebooted. I’m not exactly sure why that was. I assume something somehow cached in memory.