Recently, a friend told me about this program called Traffic Travis that could help with SEO. It has some free features and you can pay for PRO features. Since it had a free version, I decided to try to see if I could get it running under Linux.
Here’s the description from Traffic Travis:
Best Free SEO Software for all your SEO & PPC Management needs. Use Traffic Travis for both on and off page analysis as well as spying on your competitors.
Traffic Travis doesn’t support Linux as far as I could see, so this is an exercise in Wine. Here’s what I did to get it installed:
First, I created a new Wine Prefix for it. This will keep it separate from the other programs that I have running under Wine (MS Office).
env WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/wineprefixes/traffictravis winecfg
This both creates the Wine Prefix file system and opens the Wine Configuration dialog. Then, I set the Windows Version to Windows XP (just took a guess).
Next, I downloaded Traffic Travis from their website.
Before I could download, the site forced me to verify and get a registration number.
The file I downloaded was an executable file (exe). So, I opened a terminal window and changed directories to where I downloaded it. I launched it with this command:
env WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/wineprefixes/traffictravis wine traffic_travis_v4.exe
And, the Traffic Travis installer begins…
First step is to agree to the license:
Next, it asks how many shortcuts you want. I just took the Start Menu shortcut so I can launch it from the menu. I am not sure the rest of the options make as much sense on Linux.
Then, it should finish installing…
Since I have the Launch Traffic Travis option selected, it launches the program and wants to register first thing:
The first window was a little mixed up. I think the issue it is referring to has to do with flash.
The first window mentions the error message about Flash.
For me, Traffic Travis seems to work. At least, I get “warnings” and it sees that I have an XML Sitemap.
The movies don’t display, but I can view them in the browser with the “Open in Default Browser” button.
I feel a little uneasy about the numbers because it reports 0 backlinks. Maybe it’s just because I don’t have the pro version, and many of the rows have “-” instead of “0”. I know I do have at least one or two links to my homepage.
Just for comparison, I did a report on ahrefs.com. It shows more backlinks:
So, in conclusion, it works, but I am not sure how accurate the data is. I am not sure if that is a Linux issue or if it is because I haven’t bought the pro version.