Troubleshooting Brackets Extension Errors

I tried to install an extension into my newly installed Brackets. For some reason, it failed! Here are my notes to troubleshoot.

The error I get is: “Installation failed. Unknown internal error.”
Brackets Error

My first step troubleshooting was to open the developer tools in Brackets. It’s under Debug > Show Developer Tools or F12.

I saw these errors of interest:

  • WebSocket connection to ‘ws://localhost:40283/’ failed: Unexpected response code: 401
  • [Extension] Error — could not read native directory: /home/skp/.config/Brackets/extensions/user
  • Unknown installation error extensionManager domain is undefined

Note: The last one is the one that happens each time I attempt to install.

I attempted to create that directory…
mkdir ~/.config/Brackets/extensions

That made the error go away but didn’t have anything to do with not being able to install extensions.

I think that this is the real issue, and the ticket is still open:
WebSocket connection failed / Undefined Node

I checked to see if the port was open. Now, my error is:
WebSocket connection to ‘ws://localhost:34273/’ failed: Unexpected response code: 401

So, I checked for that port:
netstat -ntlp | grep 34273

No results. I can see all of the ports with:
netstat -ntlp | grep LISTEN

I can see the node process:
$ ps -ef | grep -i node
skp 9789 9764 0 18:21 pts/20 00:00:00 /opt/brackets/Brackets-node /opt/brackets/node-core

I don’t see that it has any ports open:
sudo netstat -ntlp | grep 9977

Update 6/17/2016: Version 1.7 is updated and fixed now.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *